Wednesday, July 23, 2014

That's Fair....

I've learned a new medical term over the course of this rehab.  It's a magical set of words.  I think they teach it in some class like "beginning anatomy" or "intro to the human body" or some other human-related, non-liberal arts, science department course because EVERY medical professional that I have on my team has used this word with me at some point since Stroke2 occurred. 

Mama uses the phrase constantly.  Dr. M has used the phrase a handful of times.  Oz has used the term.  Wheelie has used it.  All of them.  And then today when Dr. S used the term, I had the light bulb moment that this truly was a medical phrase.  The phrase could have a number of meanings but I've never heard any other professionals in other fields use it as consistently as in the medical field.  Are you ready for the phrase? 

"That's Fair"....now when I think of the word fair, I think of the county fair.  The carneys that come rolling into town and the animal barns with all of the manure stinking up the place and the ferris wheel that you don't dare ride even though the department of public safety has issued their big "it's ok today" certification to it.  Building after building of Miss So & So's homemade rhubarb pie and her neighbors handmade quilts.  All with shiny ribbons hanging on them.  That's what a fair is to me.  But when the medical team uses it, they use it in a different way.  Not to be a noun.  But as an adjective.  (Didn't know you were going to get an English lesson today, did you?) 

Usually when Mama asks me how a certain exercise is affecting me and I respond, she will say, "That's Fair."  Because it is.  It's unbiased.  It's candid.  It's sincere.  When Dr. M asks me how I'm sleeping or doing or whatever and I respond, she will say "That's Fair."  Because it is.  It's straightforward.  It's reasonable.  When Oz or Wheelie ask me how my medications are working or if I've experienced certain side effects and I describe what's going on, they respond, "That's Fair".  Because it is.  It's frank.  It's Honest.  It's Legitimate.  And today when Dr. S asked me how I was doing on thinking about what we discussed last week and how I felt we should start with the implementation of the plan and I responded, he said, "That's Fair."  Because it is.  It's Objective.  It's Praiseworthy.  It's Respectable. 

My life as I knew it has changed.  And That's Fair.  My life moving forward is going to be amazing.  And That's Fair.  It will not happen overnight and I have to understand that.  That's Fair.  It's Sincere.  It's Good.  It's Trustworthy. And it's Fair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment