Thursday, July 3, 2014

Teeter Totters will never be the same

I absolutely love my therapists and doctors.  I know I've said that before, but this group of folks all working together to make my world complete again are just beyond remarkable (and its a good remarkable).  I'm also convinced that after having a stroke, you pretty much revert back to preschool and kindergarten days in some ways because everything has to be very basic.  Today at therapy is no different. 

Some of you will remember the little plastic turtles that we rode in the gym in kindergarten.  We had to maneuver our butt and our feet and hold onto the handlebars to get them to wiggle us across the room.  We would fly across that gym floor like little maniacs laughing our silly heads off.  We have something similar at PT.  We have scooter races.  Only these are on black stools.  Usually it is a patient racing against one of the therapist in a big lap around the room.  As silly as it sounds, it truly does work your legs.  My hamstring on my left side is not quite strong enough to the point that I can successfully beat Rabbi at this game (without cheating), but it's getting there.  I at least mostly finish the lap around without hitting too many things.  But we do laugh our silly heads off. 

I was also introduced to this thing called the SportKat today.  Imagine, if you will, a huge beach ball.  Then, cut the ball in half and stick a thick plastic board straight across the middle.  So you are looking at a half circle with a lid on it.  This thing is able to have the tension released or added by the push of a button.  Mama and Rabbi put me between the parallel bars again (for safety) and set the SportKat in the center in front of me.  I had to step on the top of it and get my balance.  Then they adjusted the tension accordingly.  It reminded me of when we were younger and even though we were told NOT to do it, we would stand in the middle of the teeter totter and try to even it out and balance.  THIS is very similar.  Once I had my balance and was pretty confident in standing there, Mama and Rabbi added a twist.  They started throwing a ball at me.  What the stink?  I'm barely standing on this crazy, moving board and now you want me to catch a ball and throw it back to you?!?!  We were playing a goofy version of catch.  Starting out it was a simple, straight forward toss to me and I'd toss it right back.  Then they decided to up the ante a bit and they started throwing it further left and further right.  It was all in the name of gaining balance and working reflexes but goodness it sure does give you a cardio workout as well.  Who knew that a dollar tree ball and a teeter totter could be so intense?

I think it's fair to say at this point that mine and the Warden's routines are starting to take shape and becoming more solidified. I am able to stay on my own throughout the day (not like I can go anywhere anyway since I can't drive) but I have to text him every hour to check in.  I forget sometimes and he immediately calls me, so I have to set my alarm on my phone to go off every hour so I remember.  I don't want him to send in the calvary because he thinks something horrible has happened, when in reality I'm just busy playing Pet Rescue Saga on Facebook and got sidetracked or fell asleep reading a book. 

Speaking of Facebook games...I know that most people find them horrible wastes of time (and they are), but I've found that surprising they truly are great for people that have had a stroke (or two) because it is causing me to problem solve and focus and think about these things (I realized the first few days that not only do you have to match up jewels of a certain color, but you have to match up ENOUGH of them to get the game to proceed).  So I apologize now if I have accidentally inundated anybody with game requests that didn't want them.  I'm just working on my cognitive thinking skills.

Tomorrow I have to visit a new rheumatologist and I'm a little unsure of all of that.  I have had the same one for 19 years but he is moving more into the research arena and so is tapering off from his patients and Dr. M thinks its just as good a time as any to do a switch and get a fresh pair of eyes on my medical issues.  So, here goes nothing....

No comments:

Post a Comment