Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Customer is NOT always right...

The phrase the Customer is Always Right has been floating around since the early 1900s.  It supposedly makes people feel like they are going to be treated better because they can carry that banner around and flaunt it as they wish.  I have built my business on pleasing customers and people; often times at the detriment of myself. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my customers.  I adore them.  And many of the "monsters" have been created because I was too afraid to say NO early on.    I am a small business owner. 

When I first started out, I bent over backwards sometimes to make customers happy.  I've been known, quite often, to deliver stuff to kalamazoo and the boondocks for customers because they didn't want to pay shipping or come pick it up.  I did all of this in the name of Customer Service.  And my customers loved it...and some, started taking it for granted that I would jump at every whim they had.  But the past several years in small business has been tough, it finally has started making a turnaround, but I felt like I couldn't say "no" to anybody for fear of losing the sale and the business. 

Looking back I realize I was not doing anybody a service at all.  I was doing a huge disservice.  I was tired.  I was ran down.  I was stressed.  I was hurried to get tons of orders done.  At one point a couple years ago I was so extremely sick during the holiday season.  The doctors weren't sure what was going on and I was getting sicker and sicker.  They were testing for tuberculosis and whooping cough and everything under the sun because they couldn't figure it out.  I was just sick. But I had 184 orders to get out for holiday gifts and business could not slow down.  Did I mention that I am a ONE PERSON small business?  I handle everything.  The creating, the supply-buying, the marketing, the stocking of the stores, the shows (I do have a couple helpers at the shows, but preparing for them I don't), the correspondence...all of it. 

I think that's when God decided that He was really gonna take the controls back from me and make me realize that He was in control of this and I would slow down.  I fully believe that the stroke in 2013, the first stroke, was His way of forcing me to slow down.  I did, as I mentioned in an earlier post, slow down.  For a bit.  But I still had not learned the hard lessons that I needed to learn.   And stroke #2 a year later is forcing me to learn them, like it or not. 

Tommy had posted on the business FB page that we were closed due to a stroke.  There were tons of outpourings of prayers and good wishes.  But what wasn't seen by everybody was the messages and texts pouring in from the other side. 

One particular customer kept inquiring about when I'd have more "every day" wreaths in one of my booths.  I had told the woman in late April that I was going to try to get stocked up on them for Mother's Day.  Then I had a stroke.  The woman didn't seem to understand that having a stroke kinda knocked me out of commission.  I mean, really?  Can you imagine if I'd have tried to drag everything into ICU to start making wreaths?!?!  Don't worry Doc, I'm just making wreaths for the persistent lady that will hopefully like one of them well enough to buy it.  Nothing to see here. You can keep on with your testing and rounds.  Can you imagine McGruff's reaction?  Oh good grief it'd have been a nightmare.  IF I had even been physically able to do it.  Every other day though, at least, she was texting asking if I knew when I would have them.  When she texted the first time, I was still in ICU.  Tommy responded back with this, "I'm sorry Susan has had a stroke and is currently in ICU.  I don't currently know when she will be able to do this as I have had to close Wags until she is better."  And yet, I got 5 more texts on different days asking the same thing.  I know she saw the FB post that Tommy made because she was one of the folks that "liked" his update.  I know that she read the texts back because we got the read receipt.  She just was persistent.  And I was worried that I'd lose her as a customer because after all, I had said that I was gonna get them in the booths before Mother's Day. 

Another customer had contacted me back in March inquiring about possibly getting a custom (painted to match bedding) growth chart done for a gift.  I LOVE doing custom growth charts!!  I told her that it would be no problem as long as I had about 2 weeks to paint it because this time of year was generally slower in the custom order department.  I never heard back.  Then early last week, I hear from the woman.  She tells me what she needs and that she needs it to be done and shipped to Fort Worth by June 20th.  First off, when I quoted her the 2 week turnaround, there was no mention of shipping.  That takes at least an extra 4-5 days.  And second off, I am closed.  I explained, very politely (I know it's hard to believe that I can be polite AND politically correct when I need to be) that I was sorry that I had had a stroke and was unfortunately closed for the time being and would not be able to meet her deadline.  I thanked her for the opportunity to do the order and even sent her a 20% off coupon to be used when we reopen.  Her response was less than understanding.  She told me that my "customer service is deplorable.  You told me you could do it and now you are backing out.  I will let everybody know that you are unreliable and lie to your customers."  It upset me for several days that she was so angry.  I think dealing with her was one of those lessons that God put in front of me.  I had to tell a customer "no".   And it sucked. 

Remember I mentioned that I had started a little thing called The Wreath of the Month club?  It is great fun creating all the different wreaths and seeing everybody's faces when they get theirs every month or send me pictures of them on their front doors.  Shortly after Tommy posted that we would have to be closed indefinitely, I had one member of the club message me and ask if this meant that her June wreath was going to be late.  It was mid-May.  I was hopeful. I told her I'd have to see, but I couldn't make any promises at this time.  When I finally got home and was realizing my capabilities, or lack thereof, I sent messages to all of the club members explaining that unfortunately I would be unable to do the June wreaths and was hoping for a July wreath, but at that time didn't want to promise it, but I'd definitely let them know when we were starting back up and that I'd make it up to them.  Every single member was very supportive in their responses and totally understood.  No rush.  But the lady that was worried about her June wreath being late responded back with, "Cancel my membership.  I signed up for a wreath every month.  Not when it was convenient."   Ouch, that sure stung me a bit.  But then I got angry!!  Does she really think it was convenient for me to have a stroke?  

I truly love my business.  I adore my customers.  When things get ugly, it hurts me.  I feel like I have failed, not only the customers, but the business.  However, through all of this I now realize that there are some people who are just bullies.  It is NOT okay for people to be rude. It is NOT okay for people to throw tantrums.  And it is okay for me to say, "no thank you."  Some people are going to be sadly surprised when we do reopen because I am being forced to make some drastic changes.  They are all good changes, but they are different  than the way we used to do things.  The changes will result in a better product...more unique and customized.  But I will be forced to say, No to some things.  But it will make all of the Yes things even better.

After this second stroke, I had no choice.  I was closed.  Indefinitely.  And it really sucked.  It still sucks.   I will come back.  But when I do, I have learned some of those hard lessons.  I just hope my customers appreciate them.  And those that don't, well, in the words of Herb Kelleher (CEO of Southwest Airlines) to one particularly cranky customer, "Dear Mrs. Crabapple, We will miss you.  Love Herb"

Now off to Rehab...

No comments:

Post a Comment